Skip to main content

Exploring the South: Charleston, SC

Happy almost August! So this is a very exciting blog entry for me and I hope for you too! For one, it was a trip I took back in March with LB who has now been gone almost 60 days & I miss her dearly but in the last 3 hours over 137 texts we have made plans for another 4-5 trips next year so not everything is awful (Hang around to find out if any of them will actually take place). Second, this was the beginning of my "blogging/instagram/I like to travel/take photos and write" so I am very excited to share the details of this trip with you. I had also previously written this as an itinerary so I think to mix things up, I will leave it as such and just insert my commentary every now and then... Here it goes:

Arrive in CHS (I love Jetblue, what's your airline of choice? We arrived at 8:43 am because who does not love 7 am flights?)
Upon arrival we headed to Holiday Inn Charleston-Riverview. We were there during renovation but honestly it did not bother us much, we had a lovely, waterfront view and everyone was super nice at the hotel.
301 Savannah Hwy
Charleston, SC 29407
We took an uber (24$) to drop off our bags. We were able to check in and freshen up (by freshen up I mean change our outfits several times, try on each other's clothes and change back into the originally picked out outfit). We took another Uber (about 4-6$ (lots of Uber-ing this weekend but I had 40% off the whole time) to brunch- see below for info see b) 
b) Brunch Hominy Grill - pancakes, do I need to say more? Also 5.50$ egg
sandwich - No reservations necessary, was a bit of a wait but you can wait outside while getting
drinks. Mimosas are excellent and as a New Yorker, I can say decently priced. Just to warn you - the theme of this trip clearly was day drinking. Read on to find out why.
c) Boone Hall Plantation- open 9 am -5 pm, 25 min drive 24$
admission which includes:
Entry down the famous Avenue Of Oaks
Black History In America Exhibit
Plantation House Tour
The Plantation Coach Tour
The Slave Street and History Tour
Garden Tour
“Exploring The Gullah Culture” – Live!
The Butterfly Pavilion – Open May-Sept. Womp womp
Free Parking
We took an uber, $14.61
ANOTHER REASON TO GO IS THIS WAS ALLIE’S SUMMER HOUSE IN NOTEBOOK,
WHERE NOAH HIT THE GATE ! UM… YES PLEASE - If you don't remember, never watched it or just need a reason to watch it again - do it, do it, do it. 
Also the drive up to the Plantation is voted America's # 1 Drive and honestly it lives up to the hype.
d) Lunch, drinks -The Shelter Kitchen and Bar/ 17 mins drive from the Plantation on the
way back.That one is reasonably priced and casual. Allegedly with sports and live music. (Uber
$11) I don't remember music or sports but it was a laid back spot with what I remember great food and even better drinks because by now it has been some hours since we've last had an alcoholic beverage.
e) Go back to the hotel, check in. Hang, post on social media, check social media.
 f) Dinner, drinks -SNOB
I made reservations ahead of time and it was about $60 pp but we had left overs. Dress
nice! We were probably the youngest and the tipsiest (is that a word?) patrons there but our waiter was adorable and we had splendid time. 
Day 2.
a) Brunch - Macintosh on King street. Carafe of Mimosa is 15$ need I say more ? 7 min drive
from the hotel- see Brunch Menu
We made reservations the day before, food options are pricey but great atmosphere and
delicious food. Also Carafe of Mimosa $15 !!! Have you booked your trip yet?
b) Start at The Battery, the historic promenade where two rivers come together, which is lined
with gracious homes and parks. Don’t forget about the side streets, which sometimes offer a
peek into courtyard gardens to see how the locals live. Then head to King Street to stroll the
many shops along the way. It’s known for stores and antique, rustic charm stuff. - We walked to
the Battery about a 30 mins walk but we stopped on the way at random bars to have mimosas
and a cinnamon roll because #carbs. Highly recommend doing a mini pub crawl. It was also chilly so
definitely bring a sweater if going during colder times. Because I personally don' believe in ever being ready for anything, I had to drag appropriately dressed LB to Madewell to buy a sweater. Yey for 30% off discount. 
FYI - Upper King (from Calhoun Street to Spring Street), dubbed as the design and
dining district; Middle King (from Market Street to Calhoun Street), the fashion district;
and Lower King (from Broad Street to Market Street), the antiques district.
Stroll around City Market. French quarter, all same place.
c)Lunch - TBD - we skipped lunch because we had a cinnamon roll and tons of beverages by now but there are
so many places around, I say just be spontaneous and explore.
d) Drinks - THE Rooftop - several influencers (if you are into that kind of a thing) have blogged about it. It's a cool spot, not sure the best but definitely would stop by for a drink. Not would, did... we did stop by for a drink. 
e) Gin Joint - definitely worth a stop. Quaint establishment with craft cocktails,
get there early-ish and sit at the bar. Drinks were exquisite. 
e) Dinner on the way to the hotel - Prohibition
We did not make reservations and ended up sitting on the patio in hurricane strength
winds and rain and all I can say is it was awesome. There was line dancing inside but we
did not get to watch a lot of it as we had an early start the next day. Price 60$pp.

So this concluded our trip. We got back to a snowstorm in NY and experienced every type of weather season while there. Just an FYI we were there in March and went from being hot in t-shirts to hurricane warnings and ran to catch the shuttle in Newark in the snow so before you go check the weather and dress appropriate. 

Oh right, if you are interested in this kind of itinerary for a trip coming up, let me know. I'm told I am good at these. 

Bye for now

Daydream and Wander 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dominican Republic: A vacation to die for

So if you’ve been reading the news, checking social media or chatting to literally anyone, you know that Dominican Rep has been getting a lot of attention lately and not the good kind. Let me preface this entry with my opinion - If you have plans to travel to DR in the immediate future you might want to check out a different country with maybe slightly less unexplained deaths in the last few months ( for full list of travel advisories, click  here . I warn you there are quiet a few places on the list but don’t get discouraged from traveling my friends ). I also should then mention that quiet a good number of my Dominican friends will tell you that DR is just as safe (or unsafe) as any other county so I guess book that trip! or don't! You know whatevs. Side note: This also serves as a great topic at a BBQ but as my friends and I have learned, Alexa has 0 opinion on this topic.  The BBQ referenced above Ok now as for me - all this talk about DR no matter how heart breaking, r

NYC in 72 hours

Hey! Long time no... read?! If you are anything like me and have either traveled to other countries or went on an organized trip, or lived somewhere else or just know people in other places, every now and then (for those of you who have not heard yet Now and Then is now available on Netflix which if you have once been a tween girl, is literally the top 3 best news you can ever receive) you might have some out of town visitors, I know I have!! Ever since I was in my teens someone whether it be a relative, a friend, friends with their new spouse or an ex-bf of mine at some point all have spent a weekend (or longer) in NYC while I frantically looked for cool things to do. I usually stick to a the same itinerary every single time but eventually it gets old and I have to update the weekend plans. So to make your life easier here goes 4 days in NY exploring parts of Brooklyn, Williamsburg and Manhattan. My friend was in NY for the first time (I know! It's NY! I could not believe the

I went to 3 wine fests so you don't have to

Hi there! Me again. No I am not about to write about another travel adventure but I am here to tell you about a different kind of adventure. I don’t believe that adventure only awaits when you leave the Town, City or State, I strongly believe you can adventure everywhere. Therefore I’ve decided that now and again I’ll let you know about things I do in and around NYC. This blog is not only about far away destinations but also about every day experiences easily available to each and every one.  Just a random photo I took of a random wine on a random rooftop In January of 2019 I have decided that I am going to be a healthy adult and took part in dry January. For those of you unfamiliar with concept - don't try this at home. HA! Basically it's a sad & cold winter month when one gives up alcohol. As any healthy adult who just gave up drinking for at least 30 days would do, I immediately found and bought tickets to a wine fest. The good news is it was months away so plent